Preparing Your New “Corona Camper” for Your 2020 Staycation
With international travel currently being fraught with rules, obstacles and bad advice, many of the British public have decided to take their annual holiday right here on home soil. And why not? Sure, the UK might be small, wet and windy, but it’s still capable of stunning beauty – and how much of that beauty have you really seen? Probably not much when you think about it, which is why a staycation might be just what you need. We might be a little biased, but we think there’s no better way to experience what Britain has to offer than by travelling around in a campervan. It’s a hotel on wheels, essentially. Not only will it save you money in the long run, but it can inject even the most sceptical among us with a sense of adventure.
So let’s get you prepared, shall we?
Staycation 2020 Vehicle Checklist
Whether you’ve bought a campervan or rented one, you need to make sure that it’s ready to take on a serious road trip. This checklist should be all you need:
- Oil: If your engine doesn’t get enough lubrication your camper will break down, so make sure you do the dipstick test. The oil needs to be somewhere between the minimum and maximum markers, ideally closer to the maximum.
- Coolant: If it’s hot out, coolant helps to remove excessive heat from your engine; if it’s cold, it stops the water from freezing. It really is a miracle fluid for your vehicle, so make sure you have enough of it.
- Tyre pressure: Before you set out on a long drive, it’s always best to make sure that your tyres are at the correct pressure. Your vehicle will likely have a sticker somewhere indicating what that pressure is, you can usually find it inside the fuel cap door.
- Tread depth: Just as important as tyre pressure is tread depth. To check it, insert a 20p coin into one of the grooves in your tyre – if you can’t see the outer band of the coin, then your tyre tread is above the legal minimum (1.6mm). If you can see it, you better get it changed, otherwise it’s a £2,500 fine for each tyre.
- Lights: If your lights aren’t working properly, other road users may well struggle to see you at night, something that could result in a crash. With this in mind, be sure to check them properly before you leave.
Some other things you’ll need:
Great, your vehicle is all sorted and ready for the road trip, but there’s a few extra things you’re going to need if you want to keep you and your family as safe as possible.
- Water: Travelling is thirsty work, especially on a hot summer’s day, so be sure to pack lots of water for you and your family, but do the planet a favour and take reusable bottles if you can.
- Sun cream: Don’t be like those staycation amateurs that look like a cooked lobster on the second day. Pack sun cream – and plenty of it.
- Face coverings: Yes, we know, you’re going to be staying in a mobile hotel, but this doesn’t mean you won’t be entering shops or busy crowds. Face coverings will make sure that you – and those around you – have less of a chance of catching anything.
- Hand sanitiser: You shouldn’t need reminding at this point, but we’ll do it again anyway: bring hand sanitiser and use it regularly! Ideally, you should have a bottle for each family member.
- Disinfectant wipes: You never know when you might need to wipe down a picnic bench, so be sure to bring some wipes on your trip.
- Snacks: If there was ever a road trip where snacks weren’t a prominent feature, we don’t want to hear about it. They help keep the driver focused and the kids quiet, so make sure you bring plenty.
If you’ve ticked off everything from these two lists, we think you’re just about ready for your staycation. All you need to do now is decide where you’re heading!
Need some help getting your camper sorted for your staycation? We can help. Tyres Northampton provide the highest quality tyres for vehicles of all kinds, including campervans. From hatchbacks to 4x4s, we supply and install tyres from the world’s leading brands, offering a long-lasting solution to suit any budget. For more information, please contact us today on 01604 343 273.← Goodyear and Michelin Promotions